Earlier this month (July 2023) Microsoft released their plans for updates to all Dynamics 365 applications, including Business Central. They will be coming from October 2023 as part of the 2023 release wave 2 update. Many of these features will be available for public preview in September with general availability in October (although Microsoft do make it very clear that delivery timelines may change and some projected functionality may be delayed to future releases). This blog explores the application enhancements coming to Business Central in the 2023 Wave 2 update later this year.
Keep a look out for Part 2 of this blog where we look at updates coming to Business Central’s user experience, governance, integration with the Power Platform and improved AI capabilities.
We will be holding a webinar in October highlighting the upcoming Business Central and Bevica features we think will be the most useful to our customers.
2023 Wave 2 application enhancements
In the 2023 release wave 2, Microsoft are continuing to improve Business Central’s multicompany features and inventory and warehousing functionality.
Individual application improvements include:
- Availability overview helps you calculate quantities in your warehouse – Surfacing information from source documents such as sales orders, production orders, assembly orders, or jobs, this update allows users to access real-time information about the availability of items in their warehouse.
- Configure the right level of handling for different warehouse operations – Users will be able to configure warehouse processes differently to suit their particular inbound, outbound, and internal workflows.
- Do financial consolidations across environments in multicompany setups – User will be able to consolidate financial data for companies that have different Business Central environments without having to handle files.
- Edit in Excel on item journals and warehouse worksheets – This new Edit in Excel action on item journals and warehouse worksheets will let users change records in Excel and then publish the changes back to Business Central.
- Get more productive while approving time sheets – This enhancement will give managers the ability to quickly and easily approve multiple time sheets at the same time.
- Get more productive while entering time sheets – This update adds a Copy From action on the Time Sheet page so that users can copy information from lines on previous time sheets. Users can also copy information from the previous row on time sheets.
- Include approvals for intercompany general journals in your workflows – Following this update, Business Central will include an approval workflow for intercompany general journals.
- Make intercompany transactions across Business Central environments – With this improvement, users will be able to set up an intercompany partnership between companies that operate in different Business Central environments.
- Suggest the next step for sales and production orders – Business Central will be able to monitor the inventory status of the items on orders and suggest the next step accordingly.
- Sync document and posting dates for sales and purchases – This update will include the option to synchronise or decouple document dates and posting dates on sales and purchase documents. This will improve financial accuracy and operational flexibility.
- Troubleshoot Shopify integration issues –Business Central users who use Shopify will be able to use a new logging mode that allows them to troubleshoot their integration issues more quickly.
- Usability improves for warehouse, inventory and tracking – The update includes a number of improvements to the usability of several areas within inventory and warehouse management. For example, users can get help to create warehouse employees, and in several places, data is easier to access and digest.
- Use directed pick and put-away suggestions in basic warehouse configurations – With this update, Microsoft has enabling a capability for basic warehouse configurations that was previously available only when a location is configured to use directed put-away and pick (an advanced configuration).
- Use General Ledger Allocations to distribute costs and revenue more efficiently – To make data entry efficient and reduce errors for recurring types of posting, users will be able to use allocations to predefine how to distribute revenue for transactions or cost amounts across G/L accounts and dimensions. They will also be able to useallocation keys on document and document lines, and in most journals.
TVision is here to help
If you want to know more about Microsoft BBevica, usiness Central and how TVision can help you implement it in your business successfully, please feel free to contact us to arrange a demo to see how it could be the perfect ERP to help you overcome your business challenges.
If you are already a TVision customer and want to know how and when these Business Central 2023 wave 2 updates will affect your business, contact us.